Saturday, October 2, 2010

This Hope

How many times have I tried To bow my head in prayer When I know I have failed Him?
How can I look to His face When I see the pain I've caused in the tears that are falling?
But I know He's but there waiting for me to turn to Him.
I must find the strength He's given and claim His promise to forgive.


This hope I've found
In the mercy of my Lord,
That He paid the debt for me,
That my works could not afford.
I know that there is a hope:
This Hope I've found in Christ.


How can I stand before men When I know it's me who needs strength In these things that I'm sharing?
How can I bid you look up When I know it's me from the depths Of this world who is reaching?
I am not even worthy This message now to bring.
I must give Him all the glory For by His grace alone I sing.

In a world where the phrase "Christian Music" often conjures up all sorts of bad connotations:
1a. Trite and/or repetitive lyrics
1b. Songs that could equally well be addressed to one's significant other if their name were substituted for "Jesus"
1c. The theological understanding of a whiny 3-year-old
2a. The vocal prowess of the same whiny 3-year-old
2b. General lack of excellence
3. Money is the priority, rather than ministry
This Hope is a breath of fresh air.

Of course, they are not perfect, and their musical style may not fit everyone, but...
1a,b,c. Their lyrics are taken from Scripture, thoughtful integration of life experiences with Biblical principles, or hymns.  Trite and repetitive they are not.  Encouraging and thought-provoking they are.  
1b. There is no mistaking that these songs are sung to the Creator of the universe.
1c. I may  not always agree with everything theologically, but for the most part, they are spot-on.  
2a. Five men who can sing together in beautiful harmony - often acappella.  Need I say more?  
2b. I know they continually strive for excellence in this area as well.  
3.  They do make a living from their music, so it is understandable for them to charge money for merchandise and such.  Everything is reasonably priced, though, and at least here, their concert is always free.  It is clear: they have a heart for the ministry.


If this sounds like an advertisement, well, take it rather as a recommendation from a friend.  If you've never heard of them, they are worth at least checking out.  To start you off, here's one of my favorites:

"Break My Plans"






1 comment:

Adam said...

I was disappointed to have missed their concert. They don't have a new album out, do they?