Saturday, October 16, 2010

Longing

"Let not our longing slay our appetite for living." 
~Jim Elliot

That has been the quote on my skype "status" for months now, possibly because I've been too lazy to change it.  More likely, though, I haven't changed it because every time I see it, it still applies.  

It seems that over the course of the last year I have found myself often longing for various things that were out of reach.  They're not bad longings - mostly missing people and places - but I find that I can become so focused on what I'm missing that I forget to enjoy what I have here and now.

So, while I find myself missing JUC (and all that means) almost constantly, I am striving to enjoy what I have here and now.  For example:

The proximity of *real* mountains.

The sights, sounds, and (especially) the smells of autumn.  I wouldn't say that autumn is my favorite season, but it's one of them.  Plus, it's one season that I haven't really experienced for two years, and who knows?  If things go as plan, I may be missing autumn for a while.  I want to enjoy this one.  

The beauty and elegance of Calculus.  Well, the problem below isn't so much beautiful or elegant...but it looks cool, so we left it on the board to impress all the younger students. :)  I know most readers will think I'm crazy, but I really missed the logic and objectivity of math in the past two years.  I love being able to understand things and always get the right answer.  History and geography, fascinating as they are, are much more subjective and open to interpretation.  That can be fun, but some days, well, I just want the certainty and elegance of math.  

Horses on which to gallop across the plains.  Not that we're galloping in this picture...though she would have if  I had let her.  

A chance to reconnect with family...

...and with friends.  And their children.  As a side note, I really missed being around people younger than college-age in Israel, so that aspect has been fun.  

Yarn to play with. :) 

Sunsets to see.

And, of course, the ever popular biodegradable straw.  I mean, really, if you are looking for a reason to visit Montana, there's one, right there.

 
So for now I strive to learn what Paul learned:

I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 
~Philippians 4:11b

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This was a really great reminder for me, Alana. Thank you. :) I'm glad you're taking in all that God's wanting to teach you in this place in your life.
I love you!

Alana said...

Thanks Lauren! Love you too!