Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Around Town

Yesterday I decided to take pictures of barns.  In general, I think barns are pretty cool looking.  Especially the more old-fashioned red ones.  However, there is something espeically spiffy about these barns in fall.  Perhaps it is the way their red color contrasts and compliments the yellow leaves, blue sky, and blue-green mountains around them.  Perhaps they help make up for the lack of red leaves in the area.  At any rate, knowing this beauty was around, just waiting to be captured, I took my camera to a few known barns yesterday.  

This was my first serious stop:

I had driven past it several times in years past, slowly and admiringly, but had never had the time to stop and look properly.  I didn't remember seeing the pond before, so the reflective properties were an unexpected bonus.  

I hadn't put this next building on my planned itinerary, but as it was nearby and picturesque, well, here it is.  More rustic, for sure, but I like rustic. 

Enroute to my next stop, I paused to take pictures of these two barns:

Ah, and then there it was, the last scheduled stop.  A barn that has clearly seen better days, but, still quite picturesque.

As I went around the corner to get a different angle on the barn, I found that I was not the only one who considered it photo-worthy.  Another woman had stopped her car along the side of the road to take pictures.
 

Of course, one cannot spend an afternoon traversing the valley without seeing other strange, unusual, and/or beautiful sights.  

For example, Bozeman seems to boast and unusually large number of man-made ponds, often surrounded by weeds and oddly landscaped trails that are rarely utilized.  Oh well, I guess it's a nice thought.  

Fortunately, many of these ponds have ducks in them.  

Speaking of animal life, it is, of course, impossible to go anywhere without seeing cows.  

 It's been a while since I've wondered around here and the town has changed some, so stumbling across this wall was a sign - I was on the wrong road!  (Well, sort of.  Fun wall, though.)

Yes, that will make an excellent bonfire, and yes, that is a deer head on the fence.  Only in Montana...

Last but not least...
 Since when do apartment buildings come in rainbow colors?!  I can just imagine the conversations:
Child to mother: "But Mooom....I want to live on the BLUE floor!
Or
Woman inhabitant on the phone: "Address?  Yes, that's Building number TYG (for Tan Yellow Green), Apartment number Green-4.  What?  Oh, no, they've decided that colors are much easier to remember than numbers.  Just so many numbers everywhere, darling, it's ghastly.  Just think, we could be building number 274, apartment 14.  How dreadful."

Ok, so really, I like the colors.  I just sometimes have silly flights of fancy.  

Welcome to town!


No comments: