Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sacajawea and Fairies


Today, for the first time since I was four, I climbed to the top of Sacajawea Peak.  Obviously, if a four-year-old Alana can make the climb, it's not too intense.  Nevertheless, it is a mountain.  More specifically, it's a mountain that I've been meaning to climb for a couple years now, and just have never had the time/energy/good weather for it.  However, with the beautiful fall we've been having, I finally managed to fit it in.



My legs started out in the lead.  They still believe that they should be my primary source of transportation and are a little bitter about the whole car thing.  They started off at a brisk pace, shouting encouragement to other parts of my body, "Come on guys!  This is great!  Only a couple miles!"

"Wait for us!"  shouted the heart and lungs, which, I think, are still not used to the altitude.  (Well, at least, it makes a good excuse.)

Some times when they needed a break, the lungs would start talking to the eyes: "Hey, do you see how beautiful it is?  You should convince the legs that you need to stop and take a picture."
"See?  Sooo pretty!"

However, the legs would often reply, "It looks about the same as it did when we stopped 10 minutes ago!  Plus, we'll see the same stuff on the way down.  You can stop then, if you still want."

So then the lungs would talk to the brain: "Hey, ya know, aren't we feeling a little dehydrated?  Tell the legs they'll work better if we stop for water."  *pant, pant*

Of course, whenever the legs were convinced to stop, they realized that, hey, they were a little tired too.  Then the brain would have to kick in and say: "Our goal is the top!  Keep going!  Further up, further in!" and the legs would comply.

Eventually the body started cooperating better as the legs began to realize that they weren't quite used to this whole always-up-hill thing.  (Israel has a lot of hills...but none of them are quite this long...)

There was snow, of course, and, of course, most of it was on the trail, probably by virtue of the trail being more sheltered from the wind and sun.  Or because people had trampled it to ice when it was fresh.
I wasn't complaining, though.  I think this is the first snow I've seen (except from a distance) or touched in well over a year.  Pretty exciting.


The last stretch was brutal as the slope increased and endurance lagged...but with the top in sight, who could stop to rest?

And the view was worth it.  Many of my favorite mountain ranges, all visible in one glorious panorama.
The Spanish Peaks and Hyalite:
 The Crazies:
 And, of course, the long ridge line of the Bridgers.  (Speaking of Ridge Routes...)


At the bottom I paused at Fairy Lake, a place which lives up to its name.  It's easy to imagine the fairies coming out to play, teasing the fish in that still, green pool.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog in general and am periodically enchanted by the photos, but this post disturbed me with a special pleasure - I moved away before climbing her and have always wanted to know what the view was like. So now I am just curiously aching. It also suddenly reminded me of a somewhat similar but still different range of mountains I was getting ready to climb in a dream once. Do you know if the Bridger Ridge has an actual and non-technical root?

-Brett

Alana said...

Thanks! It is a great view, and I posted more pictures on facebook if you're interested. I'm not sure what you mean by "root." I think the range is named after the mountain man, Jim Bridger, if that's what you were wondering.

Anonymous said...

Alas I have no idea what "actual and non-technical root" was supposed to mean, which intrigues me more than my own comments usually do... I don't think I was sleepwriting when I wrote that but I can't be sure.