Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sallah Shabati

Tonight at Middle Eastern Movie Night we watched Sallah Shabati. The main character is played by Chaim Topol, of Fiddler on the Roof fame. Besides being an informative movie, giving a glimpse of life in Israel in the 50's for many of the immigrants, it was rather hilarious. I found myself giggling in numerous places, probably annoying the other people watching who apparently took it very seriously. (Sometimes, I think there is something seriously wrong with either mine or other peoples' senses of humor. Oh well, what can you do?) I think, though, that one of my favorite parts was knowing just enough Hebrew to begin to understand some of what they said. It made reading the subtitles more entertaining as I thought, "Hey, that's not quite what they said." Or "They skipped translating that line!"

Speaking of Hebrew, on the way home tonight two ladies asked me for directions in Hebrew. Apparently I'm starting to look like I belong here? The funny thing was, I think I actually understood where they wanted to go, and I think I actually pointed them in the right direction. Hopefully, anyway. :)

In other unrelated news, I now have a phone, so if you want to call me or be called by me, let me know and we can work something out. :)

No comments: