Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A recurring thought

As I live here in Israel, hear stories, and talk to people, the desire and need for peace in this conflicted region is clear. However, daily it also becomes clearer that peace is complex. As I talk to my flat-mates, I find their words reflecting my thoughts: there will never be peace...apart from Christ. Only in Christ will Israelis and Palestinians both be able to let go of their victim-hood and their demands long enough to truly live at peace.

There is work being done and progress being made by organizations working to reconcile believers from both sides. One such organization is Musalaha. Here's an encouraging article I read on it, too. It's good to know that the whole Christian community hasn't forgotten about "us" here.

2 comments:

Dr Chris Hill said...

Dear Alana,

Can I ask just one very serious question: "HAVE YOU BEEN OUT IN THE SUN WITHOUT A HAT TODAY OR SOMETHING?"

Israel is a battle ground caused by the religious conflict between Jews and Palestinians (Muslims), and your solution is to introduce another religion. The Christian crusades (11th-13th Century) brought (or perhaps reintroduced) Christianity to the area, but I don't remember my school history teacher describing this as a time of peace and harmony region.

More religious delusion of any variety is the last thing anybody needs, but to suggest it as a solution to the current problems in the Middle East is simply crazy.

Keep well.
Chris Hill
(Lancaster)

PS.
Flat Mates! Don't you mean room mates?

Alana said...

Dear Chris,
I am out in the sun hatless nearly daily, but I hardly think that has had a measurable effect on my though processes.

Israel could indeed be called a battle field, but whether it is caused by religious differences or by more pragmatic issues such as economics is still a matter of debate. However, it is reasonable to assume that at least some of the problems are caused or exacerbated by religious difference.

Nevertheless, please note that I did not suggest adding another religion to the mix. I pointed out the need for Christ, NOT the need for Christianity, and especially not the sort of Christianity spread by force and violence like the Crusades (which, for the record, neither introduced nor re-introduced Christianity to the region.) I don't mean to split hairs, but with all the different definitions and connotations assigned to Christianity today, there can be a huge difference between advocating Christ and advocating Christianity.

Both Jews and Muslims, Israelis and Palestinians, have a tragic history and an uncertain future. All they can see is what the other side has done to them. Israel has been terrorized by Palestinian suicide bombers. Palestinians have been pushed off their land and denied their rights by Israeli settlers. Only in Christ is there any possibility of heart change - of forgiving the other side and changing the sinful reactions that lead to a downward spiral.