Friday, September 11, 2009

Minute Observations

1. Apparently, Hebron Road is Wedding Central right now. I have seen at least 4 decorated cars on the walk to and from my appartment in the last few days, some of them in the process of being decorated, some being used by the wedding couple, and some just sitting in readiness. They're nicely decorated, too. None of the plastic wrap, shaving cream, and tin cans that are seen in the states. Nope. These ones employ tulle and ribbons in matching color schemes and attractive designs.

2. Many people here seem to wear large amounts of scent. I often pass people on the sidewalk and can smell them for several seconds after they've passed. Back home there always seems to be the occasional woman who sits behind you in church and infuses a 10m radius with her perfume, but it tends to be the exception rather than the rule. Here it appears to be more of a rule.

3. Everyone here has little plaid suitcase-like carts for carrying things too and fro. We have two at my apartment. They're really quite useful, especially in a place where walking and public transportation are the main ways to get around. They make me laugh, just a little, though. I mean, they're ALL plaid patterned, and usually in some combination of blue and red. Someday I'd just like to see one orange and green flowered attrocity.

4. We live a nearly vegitarian existence here. This is partly because on of my flat-mates has issues with the meat here. Even without that, though, we probably wouldn't eat much meat. It's fairly expensive here and if you want to be kosher, meat and milk products can never be eaten together. Thus, it is fairly common all over the country to have meals utterly lacking in any meat product, a happenstance that would be shocking to many males I know in the states. Instead, we eat lots of bean products: lentils, falafels, and hummus! Americans eat too much meat.


There are my observations of the day. :) Now I need to get to work on research and decide what to do with my life, stuff like that. :)

1 comment:

Richard Gianforte said...

2 probably because people sweat so much...

4 I came away from my trip in Israel very emaciated and meat-starved. Thank God for fresh watermelon.