Monday, May 31, 2010

The Eagles are Coming!

"There is no real going back. Though I may come to the Shire, it will not seem the same; for I shall not be the same. I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden. Where shall I find rest?" ~Frodo, Return of the King

Several times over the past semester I have compared my experience at JUC to that of Frodo and Sam at Mount Doom.  I don't mean  to imply that it has been a miserable or traumatic experience.  Certainly there have been elements of misery and trauma as are common in life, but it has been a wonderful blessing to spend two years on this "journey" to my MA.  The point is, though, it has changed me.  It has changed us.  There is a handful of other hobbits, dwarves, elves, and men who have been with me on this journey, some for the full two years, some for slightly less time.  We have traveled together, explored, studied, learned, hiked, swam, endured burning sun and freezing rains and flying rocks, watched sunsets in desert skies, shared meals, shared rooms, laughed together, prayed together, studied the Bible together.  There is something about living in a foreign country where there is the combination of so much ancient history (especially Biblical History) and so much modern conflict.  There seems to be a general consensus: after this, it's going to be hard to fit back into life in the States.

However, fortunately for Frodo and Sam, journeys always have an ending.  This JUC journey is ending for most of my companions.

One more meal together before more departures.
The Eagles are coming and, one by one, taking my friends back to their own little "Shires" where, like Frodo and Sam, they will try to find a place to fit and search out the company of others who have had similar experiences, looking for people who understand, and hoping for many JUC reunions in the years to come.

A few of us help my roommate of two years pack up.
A few of us will still remain after this summer, to continue the journey together.  Our absent companions will be greatly missed, but it is a huge blessing that a few will remain to grow together some more, and to add a few more companions as we journey on.

No comments: