Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Simpsons and the Holy Land

It's true.  As a child I was never allowed to watch The Simpsons.  Probably with good reason.  I mean, it might have been partly due to the fact that during most of my formative years we didn't own a TV, thus making TV watching a rather difficult pass time.  That aside, though, there are probably a number of good reasons why I wasn't allowed to watch it.  (Therefore, viewer discretion is encouraged in the following blog.)

Because I never watched it growing up, it never occurred to me to watch it once I was grown and had television access.  This, however, was not the situation for several roommates I have had over the years.  Many of them have apparently had an inordinate fondness for the show, and in hanging out with them, I was first exposed to, and then even began to enjoy, The Simpsons.  Shocking, I know, but true.

This is not to say that The Simpsons have become an every day part of my life.  However, the other day one of my former roommates recommended that I watch the most recent Simpsons episode wherein they take a trip to the Holy Land.  I watched it here (if you want to experience it yourself).

I have to admit, it was quite impressive.  (And by impressive I mostly mean humorous.)  Irreverent, of course, but there is so much religious nonsense over here that sometimes you just have to laugh at it, or else you'll cry.  It was, for the most part, remarkably accurate in its portrayal of both places and people here in the land, though obviously exaggerated and generalized.  Let's just say that it's light-hearted take on life here was a welcome contrast to the on-going tensions felt in the city.

No comments: