Saturday, March 13, 2010

New Experience

Apparently I have not yet plumbed the depths of experiences one can have in Israel.

I have had several people approach me and ask for help. (Mostly in the form of, "Slichah, *hebrew hebrew hebrew*," which they then have to translate for me into "Do you know where ____ is?") Usually I do know where ____ is, so that combined with the fact that apparently I look at home enough here to look like I would know, makes me feel like maybe I sort of look like I belong here. How's that for a convoluted sentence? Suffice it to say, I take comfort in the idea that I don't look as out of place as I often feel.

However, yesterday, I had quite a different experience. I was, as usual, minding my own business, looking at a map and being a little geeky, when a young man came up to me and politely asked if he could help me. It turns out he was a ranger in the park I was in, so it was sort of his job, but in a country where good customer service is not exactly highly valued, such an offer is a rather rare and pleasant surprise.

No comments: