Monday, August 10, 2009

Reflections on the end of summer

Here I sit, at my cluttered desk, contemplating the last food order of the season. The summer has gone incredibly quickly, and, at times, incredibly slowly. We've finally come to the end, though, the last week of ten. Staff memebers are starting to leave for sports, school, and jobs. We lost one on Saturday, another on Sunday, and yet another leaves tomorrow.

It's a bittersweet time. I'm excited to have a break. I feel like I've been cooking 24-7 for years now. I will enjoy not always smelling of food. I'm excited to see family briefly after camp. I'm excited to head back to Israel (in a little more than 2 weeks). On the other hand, I'm sad to leave the friends here, many of whom are like a second family to me. I'm sad to leave the sights and smells of camp. This place feels as much like home as any place on earth, and I miss it when I leave. I'm also a bit nervous to get back to Israel...there's a lot I need to do before I'm ready to leave, and a lot I need to do and decide on once I get there.

For now, though, I have about 4.5 days left here at camp and I want to make the most of them.

Yesterday the staff had a little "Cook Appreciation" ceremony and they gave us cards and a little gift. It was nice.

My parents were campers up here last week, so it was fun to hang out with them. We even got to go on a picnic one day. We found a beautiful spot along the river to eat and then explore a little.
omeday I want to come up here with some extra time and just explore EVERYWHERE.


This summer I/we have made, in rough estimates:
- 60 gallons of Granola
- 10,000 cookies
- 80 loaves of Challah
- 1500 hot ham and cheese sandwiches
- 2000 pancakes

We have used (approximately)
- 400lbs of ground beef
- 120 bags of potato chips
- 120lbs of bacon
- 800lbs of shredded cheese
-1000lbs of apples

...and much, much more, obviously.

In addition to "good ol' American food," we have served ethnic foods, which, if not totally
authentic, are at least reminicent of Italy, China, Mexico, Greece, England, and Israel/the
Middle East.

Tonight is a recipe party...all sorts of new favorites. :)


No comments: