Thursday, August 27, 2009

Adventures of the First Day Back

Let's just say its been quite a first day. It started around 3:30am when I woke up and couldn't fall back asleep for a couple hours. I eventually did sleep another hour or two. "Welcome to the land of jet-lag" one of my flatmates said.

After a quick breakfast I went on a "walking tour" of some sites of historic and cultural importance in Jerusalem with my friend Cameron (from last year) and his friend Adam. Adam is visiting from the states for about a week and Cameron is trying to show him the highlights. Today we hit the Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock, The Church of All Nations/Gethsamane, Dominus Flavit, and the Mount of Olives, just for a start. Then we headed back down into the Kidron valley, took a gander at Absolom's Pillar and then headed to the City of David. Gaby would have been disappointed at the small amount of time we spent there. Our main goal was Hezekiah's tunnel and we made our way there with a rapidity that was stunted only by the heavy crowds. The tunnel itself was enjoyable, in large part due to the cold water on my feet. Ahhh... It was a warm day.

After emerging from the tunnel we finally headed to the Jewish Quarter to get some lunch, in the form of falafels that we bought from a Jewish Iraqi man. (Bet you didn't know such a thing existed, did ya?) Then we ran a couple errands in the old city, purchasing pita, bread, nuts, and a notebook for Adam. We finally limped back home to rest our aching feet.

For dinner we decided on tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches (which is a delicacy here with the rarity of cheddar.) Fun in the kitchen was had. I like not cooking for 200 people at once.

It was a bit chaotic here at the apartment too, with the land lady coming, the juice man coming, and several guests here beyond what will be normal when school gets going. It is fun though.

So there's a day in my life. I have yet to arrange my room and organize my stuff, but that will come in time, and in time a new rhythm of life will set in.

1 comment:

RachelandJoel said...

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to hearing more.