Thursday, May 14, 2009

Out of the wilderness

Just a quick update to all my faithful readers...actually...does anyone read this?  If you're out there, you're sure a silent bunch.  It's no fair that you get to read all about me and I never hear from you.  Drop a comment and say hi or something, ok?  :)

So anyway, assuming anyone reads this, here's my quick update.

I'm back in Jerusalem after 6 amazing, spectacular, beautiful, wonderous, and epic days in Jordan.  Here's some highlights:
~ Every night but one was spent in a tent or out under the stars.  
~ One shower the entire time...which was quite a luxury, really.
~ Lots of bugs - scorpions, spiders, ants, butterflies, and beetles.  I love bugs.  
~ Lots of rocks.  Mostly sandstone, but also some limestone and granite, and a few other odds and ends.  I love rocks.
~ Lots of plants, everything from one that cures diarhea to one that causes diarhea.  I love plants.
~ Lots of hiking: down Wadi Dana, up random rock formations in Wadi Rum.  Up sand dunes.  
     *Note 1: Hiking up sand dunes is not as easy as it looks.  Pretty sure that sand dune was the most exhausting part of the trip.
     *Note 2: I hear that part of the new Transformers movie was filmed at Wadi Rum.  I may have to see it just for that reason.
~ Lots of bedouin tea.  Hot and sweet.  Yum!
~ Lots of flat bread, lots of practice eating with our hands.
~ Very little electricity or running water.  Especially the last two days.
~ Lots of bus time, 4 times riding in the backs of trucks.  One trip by camel back. 
~ Lots of time to get to know everyone just a little better...before saying good-bye today and tomorrow.  
~ Lots of adventures, both big and small.  
~ Lots of sunrises, sunsets, wind, and sun.
~ Thousands of pictures.  Quite literally.  I will try to post some later.

Okay, I think that's enough highlights for now.  There's more, but I'll have to save some for future posts.  I'll be travelling on and off for the next few days, so it might take me a while, but I will try to post some stories and thoughts from this latest adventure.  Meanwhile, though, I should pack, hang out with people for the last time (*sniff*) and get some sleep. :)

4 comments:

Dr Chris Hill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joel said...

Hey! Sounds like a fun trip. I love fun trips! I don't post anything because I don't do anything all that interesting, e.g., today I went to work and tried to finish my Seminary projects. I walked the whole mile and a half home. See, that's not nearly as interesting as the things you get to do. Maybe when my sister visits I'll have something exciting to write about.

Richard Gianforte said...

hi!

are you going back to Montana this summer? I won't get there until mid-June...

Alana said...

Hi Richard! Yes, I'm heading back to MT soon. I'll be at camp most of the summer, though. Hopefully I'll get to see you sometime!