Monday, January 12, 2009

Public Service Announcement...of sorts

Another year, another chance to blog...not that I've made use of that opportunity thus far. Until now. Probably because I haven't really had anything to say.

However, since being home, I have been asked a number of questions, many of which were more or less the same. So for those of you who haven't had the chance to ask me those questions or for those who I didn't have time to give a complete answer, I will include here a list of questions and answers. Please feel free to skip to the ones that interest you. :)


Q. How was your time in Israel?
A. Great. Wonderful. Interesting. Life-changing. Etc.
(Note: I understand that this question and ones like it must be asked, but I hope you will forgive me if my answer is somewhat unsatisfactory. I mean, I really have a hard time fitting 3 months worth of descriptions into a 5 minute conversation. If you want to know more call me, we'll hang out and talk and I'm sure I'll be able to think of more stories or even show you pictures. If not, well, it really was an amazing semester.)

Q. Are you going back?
A. Yes, I am going back. Yes, in spite of the war with Gaza and the conflict with Lebanon. While there is some added tension (especially in East Jerusalem - the Palestinian section) it is not likely to affect my life in West Jerusalem very much. At least not at this point.

Q. When are you going back?
A. Lord willing, I will head back on the 26th of January and arrive in Tel Aviv around 2:30pm on the 27th. I'm rather looking forward to NOT arriving at 3 in the morning!

Q. How long will you be there?
A. Yeah, I'm never sure how to answer this one...it kind of has a couple different answers. So I'll give the full explanation here. For now I am heading back for another semester. Which means that I will probably return to the states sometime in May. However, the program I'm in is a two year program. Which means that I will be returning to Israel for my last two semesters probably sometime in August.

Q. Oh yeah, what program are you doing again?
A. I am getting a masters degree in Biblical History and Geography (though I haven't yet decided on my emphasis - Archaeology, Old Testament, Second Temple, or Geography - and I also haven't decided whether or not to do a thesis.)

Q. What's the school like? Are there students from all over? Do you have any classes in English? Are there many believers there?
A. Ok, the school itself is basically American. It is known as "The American Institute" over there and it is associated with a number of Christian schools in America. So all the classes are in English, and almost all of the students are from America (except a few from Korea and one from Nigera...I think that's about all). As far as I know, all of the students and full-time faculty are believers. However, some of the teachers are native to the land (Jewish and Palestinian) and some of the Jews are Jewish in religion as well. So its interesting to get their perspective. If you want to know more, I think I have a link to the school on the right side of this page. Check it out. :)

Q. What was your favorite part?
A. Oh, that's another nearly impossible question...um...
Short answer: I really liked seeing Petra. And the Pyramids. And....now we'll switch to the long answer.
Long answer: Wow, it might be easier to answer what my least favorite part was. That was probably getting sick on the way home from Egypt. Other than that, wow, it was all pretty great. Honestly, though, I have to say, even though it sounds incredibly geeky, that I probably enjoyed learning the most. And trying to fit everything together. And thinking through what I've always been taught and what some of these more "liberal" teachers at the school taught and trying to draw my own conclusions. (And I've used the word "and" far more than it ever should be used.) Anyway, as ungrammatical as this paragraph may be, it really was a very interesting and stretching semester.

Q. Any nice young men over there?
Q. (Alternate) Ain't you datin' no one yit?
A. No, no, no. No. I mean, fine, there are some young men who are nice, but...no. (Kimberlee, do you hear me??)

Q. What are you doing after you graduate.
A. (short answer) I have no idea.
(long answer) Really, I have loads of ideas, it would just take too long to explain them all in a 5 minute conversation. So I don't try. But here, in the quietness of my blog, I will try to take a moment or two to outline a few of my thoughts on the future, in case anyone wants to know. Let's see...where to begin.
1. I am not uninterested in being a wife and mother someday. However, as that is something completely out of my control and therefore rather unplannable, I'll leave this option out of the picture as I list the other options.
2. I have to say that I really miss teaching. So maybe after graduating I might seek out another teaching job. Maybe I'd try to go back to Petra. Maybe I'd go somewhere else. Maybe I'd even try to teach at an MK school.
3. Speaking of MK's, I'm still interested in full-time ministry, especially overseas. Maybe I'd pursue something in this area.
4. As I've learned more about, well, a lot of subjects, I've begun to see more and more of a need for good, conservative, Bible-believing, Christian scholars in all areas. (See previous post.) Anyway, I do like school, though I'm not sure if I like it that much, but I'm wondering if I should pursue a further degree in something and maybe attempt to meet some of those needs. Probably not, but it is a thought in the back of my mind.

Ok, I think those were the most "burning" questions. Let me know if you have any further ones you'd like to see addressed and then tune in next time for another Q&A with Alana. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where or what is MK?

Alana said...

Oh, sorry, it stands for "missionary kid." There are many schools overseas that cater mainly to students who's parents are involved in overseas ministry.

Kimberlee said...

Hey now! No need to upbraid me publicly!
PS: The words "methinks the lady doth protest too much" come to mind... ;)