Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Update

I've been really bad at blogging this summer. Sort of a combination of too much to do, too little time to do it in, and nothing much to say. I cook all day. Not a whole lot to say about that. I suppose I could post recipes in my "Wifely Skills" blog, but that would take too much energy. :)

At any rate, we recently started family camp, and I sort of have mixed feelings about that. Tonight was especially, well, sort of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH." So to start off, campers were just starting to get served. I was working on warming up some more mashed potatoes so we wouldn't run out. As I was running around doing that, a man came into the kitchen and asked to fry a fish he had caught (since he couldn't eat the meatloaf.) Side note here: campers in the kitchen generally isn't a good thing. We can't let all of them in the kitchen (obviously) so even one sort of sets a dangerous precedent. Even one adds to the chaos and confusion. On the other hand, we try as much as we can to accommodate campers. So I told him that generally campers weren't allowed in the kitchen (which he kindly understood) and then I make an exception and let him cook his fish. On my way to deal with that, another lady asked me about a PB&J sandwich, and as I was focused on fish, I ordered someone standing around to help her. ;) Later on in the meal, as I'm still running around with potatoes and various other things, I am informed that we are out of ranch. Why I had to be the one to get the ranch I don't know (generally that's not my job), but I did it. Shortly after that I am informed that the salad bar is out of bowls. On my way to get bowls a camper asks for a fork and I direct him to ask someone else in the kitchen. Then another camper asks if we have mustard. As I grabbed the bowls I said, "Yes, just a minute." So I drop off the bowls, go grab mustard, and hand it to him. I sort of felt like I was the only person there. Can you not see others to ask?? That's why we have waitresses! Also, one or two people requested cottage cheese. I hope they don't ask for it every night. There's a reason it wasn't on the salad bar. I don't know how many PB&J sandwiches Megan had to make, but it was a little insane. Crazy family campers. I realized, though, that I still need to work on being a servant, and on being calm when I'm being asked 10 questions at once. That's not something I deal with very well. So God's still working on me.

In other news, I get to see the counselors more often now, and they're a pretty cool bunch. Lots of red-heads this year and we hope to get a picture all together on Sunday. I talked to a Canadian tonight and he was impressed with my French, considering I only took 3 years in high school and that was over 10 years ago. Of course, we only exchanged a couple sentences, but hey, I'll take what compliments I can get. Also, the "death by chocolate cake" when called by its real name can lead to many awkward conversations. That's pretty much my life right now. :)

No comments: