Friday, July 4, 2008

This fall

This fall I am going to Jerusalem to go to school, and am obviously very excited about this. However, as I've been thinking the last couple weeks, there is on aspect of this change in my life that I am especially excited (and a bit nervous) about.

"What is this aspect?" you ask.

I'm glad you asked! I am really looking forward to (hopefully) having peers -- people of close to my own age and social status. For the last four or five years probably about 90% of the people I've been around most have either been much younger than me and under my authority or much older than me with authority over me. I realize, of course, that there is no age boundary on friendship, and I definitely love all "my kids" as I call them, whether at school or camp, and I definitely appreciate the older people in my life and their wisdom and guidance. However, I'm not sure how well I fit into either group socially. I'm still not completely at ease in adult parties. I'm not sure if being the only unmarried person there has anything to do with it, but I'll make that my excuse. :) I feel more comfortable with Jr. High, High School, and college age people, but perhaps they don't feel as comfortable with me. Possibly because of the authority I have over them? At any rate, my younger friends often have activities that I'm not a part of. Which leaves me with very few people to hang out with on a regular basis.

Perhaps my hypothesis is wrong and age and (especially) authority differences are not the barrier they seem to be. I'll try to test it out this fall and see how it goes. :)

1 comment:

Harkins said...

This sounds like a great trip. How long will you be there? I hope it goes great for you. I am due November 18th:)