Monday, April 16, 2012

My life in an Arab-Israeli Kitchen, Part 2

My second Sunday in the kitchen was a little busier with everyone there all day.  

This is my sink area, in all it's rather dingy glory.  
 The windows offer a nice view, but are none too clean.

The faucets are confusing and I usually have to turn both sets before water actually comes out.

The spray nozzle does work, I think...but I don't use it.

And we tend to only have hot water at certain times.

The lesson of the day, however, comes from the little beige container on the shelf by the window.  That is the soap container.  I don't really know where the soap comes from, or what type it is...but there's always some in that container, with some water and often a scrubbie-type-thing.  The point is...

NEVER LOOK INSIDE THE SOAP CONTAINER.

You will not like what you see.  You can reach in and "grab" some soap" or the sponge...but never look.  Grab blindly.  It's better that way.  Trust me.
You really don't want  a good look at the odd lumps of....soap?  bread?  something? that you try not to feel floating around.  Nor do you want to see the dead bugs and scum floating on the surface.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's soap.  I'm going to use this nice soap to make my dishes all clean."  Don't think about it.

On the brighter side...there was good food to be had.  

I made caramelized onions.  Cutting onions always makes me cry, especially in large amounts.  And when you caramelize them they get so small...it's a little depressing.  But they are delicious.  I believe these were to go with the Arab-style dish, Mujadarrah.  

I also made two desserts.

Lemon bars for lunch.  (Somehow...we ended up with no less than 3 boxes of lemons in our walk-in.  Large boxes.  This was over a month ago now, so I think we're down to one, partly because some of them started getting moldy and were thrown out.  It's very sad.  But I did use some for lemon bars.)


 Muffin brownies for dinner.  With chocolate pieces in the middle.

And to finish off, this is the serving line at lunch time.  Salads and dessert along the wall.  Mujaddarah and caramelized onions in the warming area, ready to be served.  (At some point, expect a full kitchen tour).

We apologize for the delay in the broadcast of this episode of "My life in an Arab-Israeli Kitchen" and assure you that the series will continue.  :)

No comments: