Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lessons from the Children's Museum

For those of you who have not been to the Children's Museum here in town, you simply must go.  Of course, you probably should have a child to accompany you, or you'll be considered a total creeper.  If you don't have a child of your own, find some way to beg, borrow, or steal a child before planning your museum visit.  (Please don't actually steal a child.  That's what real creepers do.  Don't.)  Once you have your child in hand, you may proceed to the museum.

I was fortunate enough to borrow a child of a friend last night (a.k.a. I was babysitting) and we visited the museum.  I must say that I learned some very important lessons.

1. If I had some of these toys at home I would be playing with them ALL THE TIME.  I mean, honestly?  Just think of all the possibilities with this one:
So cool.  Your child will be fine with leaving the toys there.  You will want to take them home.  Resist that urge.  

2. If you are female, you may want to make sure that your shirt has a very high neckline.  Otherwise, when your small child has a handful of flax seed, he may find a happy hole to drop it down...and you will be finding flax seeds on your person for a week.  (Yes, this happened, no not to me.)

3. Puppet shows are fun for all ages!  Especially when the walls and LIGHT SWITCHES are mirrored so you can see yourself perform.

And now I absolutely want a mirrored light switch.  

4. Jenga is much easier when you use pieces of wood that are shorter and broader...and you lay them out 5x5.
And for all that I still lost to a 5-year-old.  Twice.  

So go to the Children's Museum.  Enjoy yourself!  And try not to cry when it's time to go home.  

No comments: