Saturday, September 3, 2011

crunch, crunch, crunch
flip-flap, flip-flap
scrush, scrush, scrush


Even with my ears muffled against the sudden fall chill, I can hear the quiet cadence of my feet as they plod along on different surfaces on this still night.

The pond is still as I jog by.  So still that not only are the outlines of the darkened mountains clearly outlined, but a few stars are even clearly reflected, and - yes - for a moment, there's the moon's reflection, barely seen above the reflected horizon.

The milky way keeps me company overhead.  It's a dark night and the moon is failing, but the stars provide enough ambient lighting for me to keep my equilibrium.

As I run on the path through the field, the moon waves to me through the trees.  We encourage each other to continue on our respective races.  In the distance the trees already look like the naked skeletons they will soon become.  It's a night that promises autumn.  Time is also racing.

I pause to bid the moon farewell as it begins to descend behind some distant hills.  Soon the crescent looks like a triangle, and the triangle fades until it resembles a candle on a far hill.  A moment more and the candle is snuffed - but an ember still burns!  And then that too is gone, and the stars hold full sway over the night sky.  

No comments: