Monday, September 26, 2011

Birthday Adventures

To start off topic, one thing about Greece that I did not understand was the restaurants.  For one thing, they were all always almost totally empty.  I mean, I suppose it was May and the tourist season wasn't in full swing...but there were a lot of restaurants with a lot of empty tables...

The other thing I didn't understand were their table coverings.  Most places would have tablecloths, and on top of the tablecloths they would place paper coverings.  I guess I was under the impression that tablecloths are there to protect the table - or at least that's the purpose they served when I was growing up.  If you add another lay to protect the tablecloth, it just starts to seem a bit redundant.  Just lose the tablecloths if you're so worried about them getting dirty.  It's not like the tablecloths improve the look of a place when they are covered by cheap paper coverings.  I just didn't understand.

Apparently, though, places in America do the same thing.

Tonight I went to Ted's Montana Grill to celebrate the birthday of one of my closest friends.  They not only had paper straws, but they also had paper covering their tablecloths covering their tables.  And they didn't even give us crayons.  They were, however, quite a bit more crowded than any Greek restaurant I visited.

Enough with table coverings, though.

The surprise party didn't quite go as planned, but Katie still seemed surprised.  We had a nice meal together, and she opened a few gifts.



Everyone else was long gone when the last four of us made our way out to our cars - and to one last adventure.  One of the girls had locked her keys in her car.  So we, of course, tried to break into the car.  However, since (ironically) none of us had any previous car breaking experience, we were rather unsuccessful.  Fortunately, a guy driving by noticed something odd was going on, and Brandon the mechanic became our knight in shining armor, with a van instead of a horse and a car-opening kit instead of a sword.  It was a blessing and an exciting end to a fun night.  

Happy Birthday, Katie!

No comments: