Thursday, May 19, 2011

More adventures

Wednesday, May 17th
This morning we went up to the monastery at Chora, a rather long and steep walk…so we took the bus up.  The monastery was, I believe, founded in about the 11th century.  Supposedly the island of Patmos had a big problem with pirates, so when pirate ships were seen, the monastery would sound the alarm and the people in the town surrounding it would flee into its protective walls.  
The fortress helped to keep them safe, as did the town itself, being rather maze-like.  By the time any pirates found their way through the town to the monastery, they were too tired and lost and separated to do any real damage. 

The monastery seems to have quite a lot of history, as demonstrated by it's museum which is full of manuscripts and icons from the 5th century on. 

From the monastery we made our way, individually and in groups, back to the boat for lunch.  Then we had free time until evening.  I went to the beach with a few fellow students and splashed in the cold water for a few minutes before basking in the warm sun.  Then I headed out to do a little exploring.  

I had seen a sign labeled "acropolis," and when I saw another one, I veered off the road I was on and headed up the hill.  Soon I ran out of road and into fields occupied by goats and people harvesting hay with sickles.  Thinking that I may have missed the path, and not wanting to disturb them, I headed back down the hill.  
Only to run into another sign, pointing at another route.  I figured I'd try again.  Up the hill I went.  The road changed to a path which ended at a church, which had gates.  But by then I was determined.  I climbed over a few low stone wall/terraces and bushwhacked my way up the hill, finally coming into sight of what was clearly the remains of a city wall.  Not many other ruins were visible (at least not ancient ones), but from the top the view of the island was spectacular. 

Thursday, May 19th
We left port at midnight (see previous post).  It was a beautiful night, at first anyway.  It got fairly windy and wavey after I had gone to bed.  I managed to not fall off my bunk, which I consider quite a feat, but I don't think anyone slept really well with the rolling and bouncing.  Some of the portholes leaked too, and I don't think my bunk was the only damp one come morning.  Of course, even when morning had come, our voyage wasn't over.  Dale constantly reassured us that it was only 'two hours more!' for about four hours.  Still, we did make it to port at Syros.  We were glad to tie up to the dock and find some relief from the constant motion.  We had a lovely lunch with some believers on the island and rested and worked on homework most of the afternoon.  

Tomorrow we continue on towards Athens, praying for good winds so we can sail.  

No comments: