Tuesday, May 3, 2011

And I'm off...

My reading for the past couple months has included books like these:
Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea: Why the Greeks Matter
by Thomas Cahill

The Greco-Roman World of the New Testament Era: 
Exploring the Background of Early Christianity
by James S. Jeffers

Cities of God
by Rodney Stark
Sailing Acts
 by Linford Stutzman


And why, you may ask, have I been reading such books?  Well, for those of you who might not yet know, I am....

                          *drum roll, please*

                                                                 ....going to Greece and Turkey!

Yes, it's true.  I leave tomorrow and arrive in Athens on Thursday.  

Roughly the first three weeks will be spent on a sailboat, taking a class from the Linford Stutzman mentioned above.  The next month or so will be spent visiting as many sights in Greece and Turkey as I can get to.  (Have I mentioned that I'm kind of history and geography nerd?)  Unfortunately, my knowledge of this area's history and geography is sadly lacking, so I will be doing my best to remedy that lack.  

The map here shows a few sites of historical and/or biblical significance, many of which I hope to visit in the coming months.  

With an uncertain schedule and uncertain internet access, I don't know how often I will be able to update this blog, but I will do my best to upload pictures and stories whenever I can for those of you who want to pretend to sail with me. :)

1 comment:

Angel said...

What an awesome opportunity!! I'll be praying for safe travels in the upcoming months, and will definitely be looking for pics/blog entries :)