Sunday, December 20, 2009

Memory and Scholarship

Recently, a friend and I decided that we needed to memorize scripture, so we started working on a couple passages together. The first passage that I chose to memorize was 2 Corinthians 10:3-7.

Though I memorized it in the NKJV, I'm giving the NASB translation here, as I think it connects verse 7 to the rest of the passage better:

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete.
You are looking at things as they are outwardly. If anyone is confident in himself that he is Christ's, let him consider this again within himself, that just as he is Christ's, so also are we.


I am by no means prepared to give an expository sermon on these verses, but when I read through them the other day I was struck by possible applications to the world of academics in which I currently find myself.

I will admit right now that I like logic. I like starting with reasonable premises and coming to appropriate conclusions. I think that reasoning and logic are given by God, to be used properly, to help us discern truth and understand better the world around us. On the other hand, I also think that sometimes logic can be a "weapon of the flesh." This is especially obvious in the world of academia where religion, the Bible, anything supernatural are all rejected in the name of "logic" and "critical thinking."

These verses remind me that logic will only take us so far and it can, in the end, prove to be a false mistress. As Christians in the academic world it is far to easy to trust in our own flawed reasoning and abandon the truth found in the Bible when logic offers contradictions. We must learn to value the knowledge of God above all, and bring thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ - even logical thoughts. This is my challenge, this is my goal.

No comments: