Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Matthew

This semester I've been taking a class on the book of Matthew, specifically stressing its Jewish setting. After all, it was written by a Jew to other Jew, whereas we (the church) are mostly a bunch of gentiles 2000 years removed from the story. We have much to learn. I will admit, though, that there have been times when I've been rather disappointed with the class. While the professor (a Messianic Jew) does have a fairly high view of scripture, but I still find myself differing with him (and the articles we read), mostly in that area. For example, I really don't like the idea that Matthew basically copied Mark and manipulated the stories and words of Jesus to counteract rabbinical Judaism. I would much rather think that Matthew actually remembered the stories and words of Jesus himself, and, with the help of the Holy Spirit, composed a book that would demonstrate Jesus is the Jewish Messiah. Perhaps the two aren't mutually exclusive. I am trying to keep an open mind to some extent. I certainly don't know everything.

At any rate, though I have been frustrated at times, there have also been times when I have greatly enjoyed the class and/or its given me much to think about.

Monday was one of those days. For starters, I got to give about a five minute presentation on Matthew 18. I admit it. I miss teaching. So that was fun. Also, since the rest of the class was on chapters 17-19, it helped that I had already spent some extra time in them already, preparing for my presentation. What made it really enjoyable, though, was the time after class I spent talking to the teacher and a few other students.

On of the major questions of the class has been, "Did Jesus abrogate the law?" The contention of my professor and of most of the articles we've read is that He did not. He came "not to destroy the law but to fulfill it." This would mean that Jews, even Jewish believers, are still under the law. The interesting thing is that they do not expand this to Gentile believers. Most of the messianic believers I've known in the States tend to say that EVERYONE should be following the law. To the contrary, my teacher here thinks that gentiles should NOT follow the law, referencing 1 Corinthians 7:17ff. To him and his fellow messianic believers, though, the thought that the Jewish messiah would abolish the law of God is shocking. One place we considered in class was Matthew 15:1-20. In the first part Jesus condemns the Pharisees for making the law of no account by their tradition. If He then continues on and discounts the food laws (verse 17 and Mark 7:18-19), then that seems a bit hypocritical.

I have a number of thoughts and questions about pretty much everything I'm learning here, including this, but as of yet most of them are too incoherent to try to enumerate in any kind of logical fashion. Plus, right now, I'm to tired -- it's nearly bed time. So I'll close off this section with one thought. If the prophecies in the last few chapters Ezekiel refer to the "end times" (second coming of the Messiah) and not just to the return from captivity, then it seems that in the "millennial kingdom" the sacrificial system will be reinstated. Of course, this brings up a whole other bucket of worms (eschatology, replacement theology, etc...strange how related everything is!). At any rate, IF my teacher is correct and IF Ezekiel is referring to the millennial kingdom, well, that seems to fit together a little better in my mind. I've been taught that sacrifices are no longer needed because Christ was the perfect sacrifice (and therefore Jews shouldn't still be sacrificing). I've also been taught that Ezekiel is talking about a time when Christ will be reigning on earth. Those two things seem contradictory. Of course, this is all an over-simplification, and at this point I don't claim to know enough about any view to be able to argue convincingly for it. Perhaps someday I'll have time to do enough research to decide, but for now, I just think it's interesting to think about. :)

...and now for my post blog news...
We had vespers tonight. It was a Jewish man and an Arab man, both of whom have lost a family member in this conflict, who are part of an organization trying to reconcile Jews and Palestinians. Check out http://www.theparentscircle.org/ for more information.

I'm headed off to Galilee this weekend for a 4-day trip. I'm pretty excited. Galilee is an amazing place. So, expect to see reports and pictures at some point when I get back.

And now I should head to bed -- I have a 8am, 3-hour-long-no-break archaeology class tomorrow, so I should get some sleep. :)

No comments: