Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Rhythm of Life

School has been in session for nearly 4 weeks now. I can't believe how the time has flown! Normally, back home, I would have developed some sort of routine by now. When I was in school, I would know the schedule of my classes and other events. When I taught I would be at school every day at the same time and I would know the order of my classes. Here, however, life has not really settled into any such rhythm.

Due to the nature of the school, the class schedule is really quite eclectic. Most of the teachers here also teach at other area schools or have jobs elsewhere, so the schedule has to be made to accommodate them, first of all. Add to that the fact that there are three different religious systems here, all with their own holidays, and we have teachers that adhere to at least two of those, so some days they can't be in class, which means we need to have make-up classes scheduled. Further more, most of our field studies take place over the weekend (I haven't had more than half a day off on a weekend since my first weekend here), but occasionally we have longer ones where we'll be gone for three or four days, again requiring make-up classes. As a result of this, I have had 5 hours of Hebrew in the past 3 days, which I personally find rather excessive. The concepts are fairly easy thus far, but I haven't had time to digest what we've learned or memorize the vocab, which makes it a little overwhelming. Of course, I don't think we have any Hebrew at all next week, so I'll hopefully be able to catch up (either that or forget everything). :)

At any rate, between the skipped classes, the make-up classes, the various field trips, and everything else going on, I still feel a bit like I don't know quite what I'm doing. Oh well, life's always an adventure. :)

This week has flown by...and I'm not quire sure what I've done. It seems like I've been busy all week but have accomplished very little. However, I think I have this Saturday off, which means that maybe I'll have time to do some catch-up.

Tonight I went with my roommate, Ada, to get some stuff a friend had left for her. We took a taxi to Mt. Scopus, where we meet with the roommate of Ada's friend and got the stuff. We then took a taxi back to Jaffa Gate. I think I've ridden a taxi only once or twice before...and that was in Bolivia. I'm pretty sure I've never taken a taxi in the states. Anyway, it went fairly well. All these little adventures! :)

Oh, and tonight was cookie night. You have no idea how much I miss cookies. They made rice krispies tonight. If you've worked with me at Clydehurst, you probably know how I feel about making rice krispies. But I watched. Actually, I'm not very good at watching other people cook. I keep wanting to tell them how to do things better or more efficiently. So I try to keep my mouth shut. :)

Well, this is an ecclectic post, but I, at least, enjoyed writting out some of my thoughts and experiences here. :)

No comments: