Thursday, September 4, 2008

Food and other miscellaneous things

Every day here is sort of a series of mini-adventures. Most of my time this week has been spent in class or reading assignments for class (I've never had to read this much in my life...its a change from engineering). So today I'll have to resort to the "mundane" to post about.

FOOD
I'm pretty sure that over 50% of our meals contain rice. Especially if you don't count breakfast (we have cheese and sandwich meat for breakfast, among other things, but no rice.) I think we've also had hummus at nearly 100% of the meals other than breakfast.
The other day I ate my first guava. I didn't know what it was for quite a while. Not sure that I like guava all that well...it kind of tasted like pine. It was ok, but probably not my favorite.
I also ate my first fresh fig the other day. I liked it much better than the dried ones I've had.
I've yet to have a date. ;)
I still love pita.
I also had my first bite of falafel the other day...I need to have a whole one someday soon.

CAMPUS
I was told today that there are something like 17 cisterns here on campus. I only know where one or two are, but it's a start. There are also two tombs, one of which, I believe, is a first century tomb. Most everything is made from stone and is pretty much open to the air (we have random courtyards and such). There are 55 students living on campus (I think) and about 20 off campus. We have two classrooms. Three large bathrooms and four singles (that I know of). We can't put toilet paper in the toilets.

WEATHER
It's hot. Really, ridiculously hot. Ok, actually, its not that bad, and its only for a few hours that its really hot. It cools down quite well at night. Though for all that I have yet to sleep with a blanket. I sort of use a top sheet, occasionally. Everyone comments that its not bad because its so dry, but I'm pretty sure its more humid than Montana ever is -- my hair curls and my skin isn't dry.

PEOPLE
I have met all my professors but one, and I've heard stories about him. There are only 5 new MA students this year -- my roommate Adaobi and I, and then three guys, Peter, Ian, and Chris. We had a lunch today with Dr. Wright and most of the returning masters students, so that was fun. There are a few other graduate students here, but they are only there for a semester or two. I still don't remember a lot of names, but I'm hopefully getting better.


I'm trying to remember if there are any other random tidbits to share. I suppose if I recall some I'll just have to post them later. For now, you have a little bit better idea of what my life is like day-to-day.

1 comment:

Richard Gianforte said...

Wow I didn't realize how tiny the school was. I guess I'm calling the kettle black though :)