Sunday, December 9, 2007

Vapor

A couple circumstances recently have impressed on me the fleetingness of life. I just heard today that the father of one of my good friends from high school had recently and unexpectedly passed away. Last spring the father of another childhood friend also went home to Jesus. These men were not much older than my own father. I also realized that my mother's father died when she was about my age. I am so thankful for my father and that I have had him as long as I have. I pray that I will have many more years to enjoy him, and that I would make the most of any time with him (and my mother and the rest of my family and friends) that I am given.

Another circumstance was my Grandmother's getting into a car accident right before Thanksgiving. She is recovering as well as can be expected now, but had a few minor things gone differently, she probably would not still be alive.

Fortunately, I serve a God who controls life and death, who has even conquered death. I have seen times when someone who should have died was miraculously preserved, and I have seen others cut down unexpectedly in some "freak" accident. None of us can live a minute more or less than what God has mapped out for us, which is comforting. Whenever I die, it will be my time. Whenever a friend or family member dies, it will be his or her turn -- and, for the most part, I know I will see him or her again in heaven someday.

For now, seeing that life is fleeting and the end unexpected, Lord help me to live in light of eternity. Keep me from wasting my life, whatever its length. Be glorified in me.


"See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil." ~Ephesians 5:15-16

No comments: