Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Knowledge

I've been reading some of Jane Austin's novels lately, and I happened to start re-reading Northanger Abbey. If you have never happened to read it, you really should pick it up someday. Its quite different from Austin's 'normal' style...rather tongue-in-cheek. Anyway, while reading, I came across this quote:
"Where people wish to attach, they should always be ignorant. To come with a well-informed mind, is to come with an inability of administering to the vanity of others, which a sensible person would always wish to avoid. A woman, especially, if she have the misfortune of knowing anything, should conceal it as well as she can."

My first reaction was to laugh. My second reaction after the first mirth had passed was to ponder this a bit more. How intimidating is intelligence, especially in a woman? My own father, who is quite intelligent, said that in high school he was 'afraid' of the intelligent girls, thinking he'd never have a chance. This quote and my dad's recent comment made me wonder, first about human nature, and then about my own nature.

I must admit that I consider myself rather intelligent. I think that is an area that, for whatever reason, God has gifted me in. In my pride I like to think that I am more intelligent than I really am, and I wonder if I try to appear intelligent. I can't say that I intentionally try to appear really intelligent when I first meet someone, as far as I know, but perhaps after that? My actions will bear watching. There is nothing wrong with being intelligent, and there is nothing wrong with it showing, but there is something wrong if I am purposely showing, especially if it makes other uncomfortable.

1 comment:

JoelandRachel said...

Hey, Alana! I've been reading Pride & Prejudice recently and am enjoying the way Austin writes. We'll have to compare notes when you get here. The Searls are trying to make me a Jane Austin fan. ;)