Thursday, November 15, 2007

Casting

Have you ever tried to cast a play? If not, take my advice and don't do it. It's more trouble than its worth! Consider this:
Play: "The Rivals"
Parts:6 minor parts, 4 mediumish parts, and 8 larger parts (18 total, of which only 5 are specifically female roles)
Actors: 18, 7 male, 11 female, various ages, sizes, and abilities
Other considerations: Each actor has (of course) certain preferences for the parts they want to play. Actor A says she wants to play parts X or Z, but then isn't really willing to audition for either of those roles. Instead, she auditions for part Y. What am I to make of that? Actor B is afraid of boys and wants nothing to do with a part wherein she might have to pretend to be in love with a boy, or, heaven forbid, touch one. Actor C wants part Q but would probably be better at part R. Actor D would do well in part P but only if Actor E has part M. Actors F and G could probably do a good job, but F is only interested in small roles, and I don't know G's abilities well enough to judge if they would do a good job.

Did I mention that we have to all get along and work together to produce this play, even if people don't get their first choice?

Did I mention that we are doing this as a fund raiser for our school, so it actually needs to be good?

Ok, so, it's really not that bad. I think I have most of the parts assigned, and I think that my students will do an amazing job, and have a lot of fun. Nevertheless, I'll be glad when this stage of the production is over. :)

No comments: