Saturday, September 4, 2010

Tales from the road

This weekend I spent about a day and a half road-tripping around Montana, which led to a number of unrelated humorous incidents.

1. Bull Mountains
You ever wonder how places get their names?  My sister and I were driving along, passing from a flatter area into a slightly more hilly area when we passed a sign: "Bull Mountains."

 Yes.  As you see.  Larissa and I looked around and thought, "Mountains?  What mountains?  That's just Bull Do-do! ....Oh...."  And then all was clear.

2. Mecca Bar
Fairly shortly after that we passed a bar.  The Mecca Bar.  I still can't quite believe that is the actual name, but I double checked the sign...  I am sure that people make pilgrimages there from all over Montana for their world-famous beer.  Ironic, since any actual Meccan beer is bound to be terrible.

3. Oh Deer!
Deer in Montana are notorious for being on the road at the wrong place at the wrong time.  The one below is one of the smarter ones we saw - no where near a road.

Roundup, however, apparently has very well trained deer.  As we drove down the street we noticed a group of three deer on the side walk, the one in front intently studying the street in search of cars.  As soon as we had passed we could just about hear her say, "Ok guys, it's all clear now!  Let's go!"  And I watched them cross in my rear-view mirror.

4. Animals Dead Ahead
Of course, anywhere you go, when you see a bunch of bird circling around an area some ways in front of you, it's always a sign that there are animals dead ahead!  (And sure enough, when we got closer, a less intelligent deer was dead on the side of the road.)

5. Mount Tabor?  Jordan?
As always, I miss Israel.  This hill reminded me of Mount Tabor.
And who knew that one could drive to Jordan from here?

No comments: