Monday, August 16, 2010

For now, at least...

My home's in Montana
I wear a bandanna,
My spurs are silver,
My pony is grey.
While out on the ranges
My luck never changes
With foot in the stirrup
I gallop away!

Though my home may not always be here, I do love this place.  Leaving for a time and then coming back serves to remind me of the little delightful things that I tend to take for granted.  

I would say "God bless Montana," but He clearly already did. ;)

So, in honor of Montana, here are a few of the wonderful (or strange) things I get to see around here on a regular basis. 

1. Mountains.   
Oh how I love the mountains.  
Sometimes, when you're lucky, the mountains will even have cows in front of them.
Or, better yet, fields of ripening wheat.
Or...cabins that I intend to own someday.

2. Spectacular sunsets.
 And sometimes, spectacular moon-sets.
 3. Clouds, rain, and rainbows.
These, of course, are not exclusive to Montana, but they were severely missing in my last few months in Israel.

4.  Animals.
Wild animals.
Funny farm animals.
Even sunset-silhouetted animals.

5. Tall grass.  (Again, not exclusive, but sadly lacking in Israel in summer.)

6. Farm Equipment.

Sometimes VERY LARGE farm equipment.

Sometimes you can even watch said equipment from your bedroom window, as it cuts hay under a waxing half moon.

7. Stars.


And, if these pictures have convinced you that Montana is a place you need to visit, here are some suggestions for activities once you get here:

1. Fixing fence.  There are always fences to be fixed.  Funny farm animals must be kept in their place.

2. Hang slightly illogical signs in random places.  This seems to be a common hobby.

3.  Practice looking cool in front of murals painted on buildings.  Clearly this model has the practice down flat.

4. Put flowers in your hair and pick wild strawberries.

5. Wade into cold rivers and stand there until you can't feel your feet and hope to catch dinner while not catching a cold.  

 6. Or, my personal favorite, go for a hike or two.


Yes, these are but a few of the delights that could await you in the great state of Montana.  I, for one, am enjoying them, as, I hope, are the other Montana dwellers.  For the rest of you, any one want to visit?

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Sold! Yes I want to visit! Someday maybe - hopefully!