Thursday, April 15, 2010

What’s for Dinner?

For reasons which I am unable to fully explain, I hate that question. Unfortunately, it is one that often comes my way, so I have become accustomed to having this answer slide glibly off my tongue: "Food." Perhaps part of the reason is that I rarely follow recipes when I cook any more, especially in Israel where substitution is the name of the game. Generally I am asked this question while I'm in the process of cooking, and, frankly, it takes too long to say, "Well, I'm kind of working on a pasta dish which will hopefully bear a strong resemblance to lasagna, if I get the substitutions correct." It's much easier to say, "Food," get back to work, and let them work out the details of what American dish it reminds them of when they eat it. I'm a little afraid that if I just say, "Lasagna" they'll be disappointed when they taste it.

Or perhaps Gandalf better explained my reluctance to answer that question when he said, "Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have labored to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder." (The Return of the King, chapter 5)

Yeah, I'll go with that. J

No comments: