Thursday, February 11, 2010

Just one thing

Can I just say that it really bugs me when Christians promote things that are clearly not academically sound? Are we so desperate for "proof" of our beliefs that we abandon discernment? So fearful that the Bible will be crushed under the weight of secular criticism? So terrified that Christianity will abandoned like a sinking ship unless we provide the masses with "scientific" proof that their beliefs are not unfounded? Honestly, if you're going to make something up to make yourself feel better, at least make it less easy to disprove.

The PaleoBabble Blog has had two such examples in the last week or so.

The most recent talks of a claim that archaeologists have found giant skeletons, thus proving the Biblical passages that mention giants? Apparently this claim can be found on some creationist websites. How unfortunate.

The older posting offers a link to this article, claiming that Adam's body, without a naval, was found in Noah's ark on Mt. Ararat, thus proving special creation. Yes, and aliens have been captured by the government in area 51 and the ark of the covenant was recovered by Indiana Jones and is in some government storage somewhere. All true. Proof? Well, I would have proof...but the government is suppressing it.

I mean, I realize that Christianity is bound to appear foolish (see I Corinthians 1), but really, do you have to go out of your way to make it appear utterly ridiculous?


3 comments:

the real Juniper said...

First off, awesome post! It reminds me of the "Christians" who write letters to the editor of our beloved Bozeman Comical (misnomer intended), attempting to defend their perspective on some issue, but coming across uneducated, rude, and moronic.
Secondly, I have a post request... I have read a few science-fiction books and watched a few movies that reference the concept of a "golem." I understand what that is in the context in which I've seen it referenced, but I was wondering if you have learned anything about the idea, and/or if it is actually any part of main-stream (or mystic) Jewish thought. Just wondering if you could elaborate at all, either in a comment response or, if it is a long answer, in a post. Thanks!

Alana said...

Thanks Juniper!

I actually had to look up "golem" - apparently I have not read enough science fiction books. :) As far as Judaism goes, let me start by saying that my contact with Judaism and Jews has been mostly through my teachers. While many of them are practicing Jews, as far as I know none of them are involved in the more mystic streams of Judaism. They are also scholars, which tends to make them more skeptical of things than your average Jew might be. In addition, the portion of Judaism that I have studied more in depth is Classical Rabbinic Judaism, which ends in about the 700's, long before the origin of Kabbalah and mystic Judaism around the 1600's.

From what I can gather, "golem" was used once in the Bible (in Psalm 139:16, often translated as "embryo"). Later in the Talmud, apparently Adam was described as a golem. However, the more "modern" meaning of an artificial creature animated by magic (or science) by humans doesn't seem to appear until about the 16th century.

All that to say, basically, I don't know how mainstream it is. I have not heard of it being a huge part of the Jewish religion, but it may hang on as a sort of fairy tale - like we all know the story of Frankenstein. It might be more common in mystic Judaism, but I have no way of knowing that.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled and let you know if I learn anything else.

the real Juniper said...

That was pretty much all I was looking for, thanks for the info! It sounds like the concept is almost more in use for non-Jewish audiences as a somewhat recognizable literary trope, as it brings to mind mysticism and a certain command over the supernatural. It's one of those things that carries an insinuation of religion but isn't truly part of any religion -- such as some modern references to Jesus' "affair" with Mary Magdalene, for example. It may lend a superficial air of religious authority to the user, but it is in fact more a proof of familiarity with cultural trends than real religious education.