Monday, October 26, 2009

The Shuk

Today I went to the big Jerusalem shuk (open air market) for the first time, which is rather sad, considering how long I've lived here. It was about time.

So this morning I headed off with my friend Anna. It's a bit of a walk, though not too bad. I'm still working on putting the city together in my mind, so it helped. I need to get out more.

I rather enjoyed the shuk itself. All sorts of colorful displays of fruits and vegetables, meat, fish, nuts, grains...whatever you could want.

...occasionally birds also take advantage of the spread.

Generally priced cheaper than anywhere else in the city. As we had just gotten groceries for our flat yesterday I didn't buy much. Just oatmeal, beans, and some pita. (We kind of eat a lot of pita here.) I did get to watch Anna buy all sorts of goodies, though. I rather like the atmosphere. Ironically, not at all like Walmart.

One place also had some really cool fruits that neither Anna nor I recognized. They looked sort of like pink and green artichokes. After googling it, I discovered that they are "Dragon Fruits" or "Pitaya." They look tasty.


Thus ends the tale of my shuk trip.

No comments: