Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving Reflections

A year ago, a week or two before Thanksgiving, my maternal grandmother was in a pretty bad car accident. For a time there we were afraid we might loose her, but she managed to pull through. We spend that Thanksgiving with her at a special physical therapy facility. It probably wasn't the most comfortable Thanksgiving ever (especially for her!) but we were thankful that she was still with us.

This year, a week or two before Thanksgiving my paternal grandmother began failing rapidly. She had a stroke about 8 or 9 years earlier and then another one a little more recently - two close calls where we were grateful that they were not the end. This time her liver was failing and there was no recovery. This time we cannot be thankful that she is still with us after a close call. This time we have something much larger to be thankful for: the fact that she is now home with Jesus. No more pain or disability lingering from her strokes. Now she is able to see her Savior face to face and rejoice in His presence. What a blessing!

I'd better change the subject a little, or I will start bawling here in the Library. Thoughts of heaven always seem to make me cry (in a happy way).

As I think back on the lives of both of my grandmothers (the short part of their lives that I knew them), I am so grateful for both of them. Neither were/are perfect, but both tried/try to walk with Jesus and set an example for their children and grandchildren. I think my grandmothers are one of the main reasons that my parents (and all their siblings) grew up to love and follow the Lord. I also blame them at least partially for the fact that I've grown to like crochet, sewing, and cooking. :)

As I think about my grandmother tonight, I mourn for my family who will miss her. I mourn a little for the great-grandchildren that she wanted so much but will never meet on earth. But more, I look forward to the day when all of us (hopefully including any great-grandchildren that she might someday have) will see each other again in the presence of God. Now that is something to be thankful for!

No comments: