Sunday, January 13, 2008

Back home!

I went to Kalispell this weekend. My old roommate was getting married, and I got to be in the wedding. It was a fun time. A little crazy, but probably more relaxed than a lot of weddings. I haven't seen the bride (Celena) much since she moved, so it was fun to hang out with her a little again. The families seemed to get along well, and the bride was amazingly relaxed.
That's the bride and me. :)

At the beginning of the ceremony the pastor asked every one there (attendants and audience) if they would seek to encourage the bride and groom to uphold the vows they were about to make, to push them to love each other and to love God more. I really appreciated him pointing that out. In Christian marriages, the Christians who witness the marriage should be willing to get involved in the lives of the couple (or stay involved) in encourage them in their marriage. As Christians in general we should be more willing to be open and vulnerable with each other and confront sin when it rears its ugly head. I think the church would be much purer if we did. At any rate, I want to take seriously the responsibility to encourage Matt and Celena. They are moving quite a distance away, so it will be work, but I do want to do the work to keep in touch and encourage and exhort them when I can. I just need ideas as to how best to do that, and then I need to make the time to do it! May the Lord bless their marriage as they strive to fulfill their vows, as they grow closer together, as they grow closer to Christ.

3 comments:

Anh said...

It's a really nice thought of you. I agree that we should encourage other people's marriage and other businesses. but it's hard (at least for me) to do it appopriately, since people can look at us with a non-of-your-business thought.
(I finally got my blogger acc back, so I can comment on others' blogs now. Kool.^^)

Richard Gianforte said...

I enjoyed reading this post. I agree with you and Anh that the church ought to be more involved in each other's lives. Accountability and support is very important in the Christian life.

Alana said...

Hey, thanks guys. Anh, I agree, it is really difficult. Lord, give us wisdome! (And I'm glad you can post! :)